Reports to: Brooke Flowers, Executive Director – Metro Atlanta
Start Date: Flexible, preferably June/July 2017
Location: Atlanta, GA
Position Filled By: June/July 2017
In 1970, 6% of students from low-income communities completed college. Today, that number is a mere 9%. Anchored in this belief, we have one goal: college graduation. Period. At OneGoal, we believe we must move the needle on this most critical challenge facing our nation especially given it is solvable. We believe all students have what it takes to earn a college degree, and should have a real opportunity to fulfill their potential. Our Director of Development Strategy + Operations will join a national movement changing the trajectory for our country’s most underserved youth during a unique window in time:
- By 2017, OneGoal will serve more than 9,300 students (“OneGoal Fellows”) in 180 schools in six states across our country.
- OneGoal’s teacher-led, in-school, three-year college access and success model is reversing the odds. While nationwide, only 9% of kids in low-income communities graduate from college, 82% of OneGoal Fellows enroll in college and 78% are persisting or have graduated from college.
- Since 2013, OneGoal has grown in staff size by an average of 50% and with over 100 staff members, is embarking on “Phase III” of our growth stage, anticipating additional growth to new regions.
- To learn more about our work within the Metro Atlanta region in particular, please visit our Metro Atlanta page here.
You believe – and your work has demonstrated your belief – that all students can earn a college degree and the life that comes with it. As the Director of Development Strategy + Operations, your mission is to work with the Executive Director to ensure OneGoal-Metro Atlanta creates, refines, and saturates the local community with a compelling vision for how OneGoal will work to close the college divide in our lifetime. You also will ensure OneGoal-Metro Atlanta maintains its financial stability by working with the Executive Director to steward and grow a diversified and sustainable investor base that includes individual donor, foundation, corporate and public support.
You will do this by:
- Collaborating with the Executive Director to set and execute a multi-year vision for OneGoal-Metro Atlanta, including overseeing delivery of multi-year goals, strategies, and campaigns across foundation, corporate, individual and public funding streams
- Supporting the Executive Director to Influence and motivate new and existing external constituents to invest in our work – raise over $900K in FY18
- Effectively managing a portfolio of donors (individuals, corporations, foundations, and public sources) by reviewing and analyzing progress to goal and making strategic recommendations to inform actions and campaigns
- Writing letters of inquiry, grants, and other externally-facing marketing pieces that compel external audiences to invest in our work
- Planning and executing several small events, hosted by OneGoal-Metro Atlanta board members and other champions in support of our fundraising goals
- Working alongside the Executive Director to recruit, manage and steward a highly-invested and highly–effective regional board
Though OneGoal-Metro Atlanta’s Director of Development Strategy + Operations is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You are a strategic visionary and proactive, resourceful problem-solver.
- You have an exceptional ability to create and refine clear, compelling visions, especially visions that require a team or organization to stretch beyond the status quo. You are able to take an inherited, big-picture vision and break it apart to crystalize the critical steps necessary to actualize that vision (e.g. set benchmark goals and calendar key actions).
- You like to explore and build innovative approaches and have designed new ways of doing things. You make connections, determine fits, and build plans that are responsive to interlocking and evolving challenges and opportunities.
- Contingency planning and problem-solving excite you, and working to streamline and improve systems gives you energy.
- You’ve demonstrated the ability to work diligently towards your goals and can comfortably pivot and try new strategies when challenges arise.
- You are able to prioritize your work, based on a sound understanding of what matters most to the success of our region and to our development efforts; you make decisions using your best judgment and your knowledge of key priorities.
- You are driven by solving at both the group and individual level, using both data and experience, recognizing the complexity of action and strategy requires evidence as well as an ability to dream big.
You are a conscious and savvy relationship-builder.
- You enjoy research and thrive on finding ways to connect people to a broader mission.
- You have an insatiable appetite for uncovering and understanding the unique interests and needs/motivations and barriers that others possess and leverage your understanding of those unique needs, interests, and differences of others in order to drive progress towards increasing our fundraising efforts and effectively managing and engaging our regional board.
- You enjoy collaborating with others to leverage their knowledge and are eager to work across functional teams and internal and external audiences to ensure external partners are invested in what is happening in our schools.
You love the big picture but are obsessed with the details.
- You’re able to easily navigate between high-level/big picture strategy and the day-to-day details that keep a team running and executing on key outcomes.
- You know that thoughtful, well-crafted external materials are considered a reflection of our organization’s health and management and ensure that everything we share externally is accurate and without errors.
- You get energy from planning and from moving a project from start to finish and you are constantly thinking about the potential for impact with each action you take.
- You love managing the details and have systems/processes that insure that things don’t fall through the cracks and that you consistently have a clear picture of where things are relative to short- and long-term goals.
You love telling stories in written form.
- You understand the power of language and story-telling and have experience and skill drafting grants, letters of inquiry and other external marketing collateral that effectively and concisely tells a compelling story others are eager to invest in.
- You are attentive to the details for how to modify written and verbal stories and pitches to appeal to specific audiences.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- 3-5 years development, campaign, partnership-development experience (Strongly Preferred)
- Understanding of the Metro Atlanta philanthropic landscape (Strongly Preferred)
- This position requires heavy travel across the region; access to a vehicle is necessary
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 100 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package which provides individual professional development funds, retirement matching, generous paid vacation time and sick time off, a culture that supports sustainable work habits, and an Annual Staff Retreat.
You Believe in People and are Committed to Equity and Inclusion.
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
THROW YOUR HAT IN THE RING
Explore our website to learn more and apply by following the link below.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.