Reports to: Lynnae Hill, Vice President of Human Assets – National
Start Date: July 2017
Location: Chicago preferred, and flexible within other OneGoal Regions: Atlanta, GA; Houston, TX; Boston, Massachusetts; New York City, NY; Bay Area, CA
Position Filled By: June/July 2017
In 1970, 6% of students from low-income communities completed college. Today, that number is a mere 9%. Anchored in this belief, we have one goal: college graduation. Period. At OneGoal, we believe we must move the needle on this most critical challenge facing our nation especially given it is solvable. We believe all students have what it takes to earn a college degree, and should have a real opportunity to fulfill their potential. Our Senior Director of Human Assets will join a national movement changing the trajectory for our country’s most underserved youth during a unique window in time:
- By 2017, OneGoal will serve more than 9,300 students (“OneGoal Fellows”) in 180 schools in six states across our country.
- OneGoal’s teacher-led, in-school, three-year college access and success model is reversing the odds. While nationwide, only 9% of kids in low-income communities graduate from college, 82% of OneGoal Fellows enroll in college and 78% are persisting or have graduated from college.
- Since 2013, OneGoal has grown in staff size by an average of 50% and with over 100 staff members, is embarking on “Phase III” of our growth stage, anticipating additional growth to new regions.
You believe – and your work has demonstrated your belief – that all students can earn a college degree and the life that comes with it. As Senior Director of Human Assets, you are chiefly responsible and accountable for developing key centralized, scalable organizational human assets strategies and initiatives that will support OneGoal as a thriving and enduring organization. Your work will build upon strong human assets foundations that have taken our organization from 10 to 100 staff members in 4 years, and include significant partnership with other Human Assets team members, as well as leaders across the organization.
Your core work streams will include:
- Developing and elevating priority Talent Management projects:
- Compensation Strategy and Plan
- Career Pathways
- Competency Model Redesign
- Performance Review Process Enhancement
- Grievance Policy
- Employee Engagement Analysis and Strategy
- Developing and elevating our Centralized and Organization-wide Training Delivery:
- OneGoal’s Annual All Staff Retreat (August, 2018)
- Onboarding process for new hires
- Co-develop strategy for delivering additional HR education
You will lead these work streams by:
- Grounding yourself in the charge of the Human Asset’s Team, which is to partner with and empower team leads to attract, engage, develop and retain exceptional and diverse talent and lead with tenacious curiosity and compassion. You will do this by:
- Leveraging external best practices and resources and assessing and making recommendations on applying those to the OneGoal culture, values and context
- Serving as an expert and strategist, developing plans that are scalable
- Supporting senior team leads, managers and teammates to invest in, internalize and lead on talent management
- Leading, partnering alongside and managing a team to maximize their effectiveness and meet ambitious outcomes
Though the Senior Director of Human Assets is likely to see himself/herself/themselves in the following examples, these are not requirements. These examples are designed to help you determine if this opportunity aligns with your own passion and purpose.
You possess an unwavering belief that equity is the foundation of human resources strategies.
- Your approach to developing strategies combines both expertise in HR best practices and legal compliance, and also reflects an organization that seeks to provide comprehensive foundations and pathways to support a diverse workforce.
- You value internal collaboration and leverage internal and external best practices to ensure equitable processes so staff see and feel procedural and distributive justice at OneGoal.
You are a synthesizer and strategist.
- You have built scalable HR systems and processes that correspond to organizational values.
- You can break down a complex vision into clear, tangible, and measureable milestones to create a runway for your team to achieve ambitious goals.
- You can see connections across lines of work and you maximize those connections by opening lines of communication and forming strong collaborative partnerships.
You are a compelling, concise and influential communicator.
- You have experience communicating complex information to diverse audiences in one-on-one and group settings.
- You value the importance of listening and inquiry as a means to drive and adapt your key messages and enhance strategies with stakeholder engagement in mind.
You are a coach at heart.
- You assess team members’ skills in a timely and equitable manner.
- You demonstrate empathy and take in many inputs, but also know when it is time to make a decision on the best course forward.
- You foster inclusiveness and leverage a strengths-based management approach.
Your leadership and operating orientation arcs towards a Learning Organization approach and you are able to solve problems through others.
- You thrive in atmospheres where reflection, learning, difference and process is ongoing, fluid, nonlinear and infinite.
- You recognize that “human” work means that no process or structure will have all the answers and that your role is to support our people in navigating the subjectivity and nuance of this truth.
- You like to explore and build innovative approaches, and have designed new ways of doing things.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- 5+ years human capital experience (Required)
- SHRM Certification (A plus)
- 3+ years management experience (Highly Preferred)
- Ability to travel 6-8 times throughout the year (increased travel requirements for non Chicago-based hire)
Guided by a clear set of core values and beliefs, you will join an impressive group of more than 100 OneGoal staff across the country who believe in the untapped potential within students. The OneGoal team challenges themselves and others to regularly ask, “Is there a better way?”
The Tangible Good
We offer a competitive compensation and benefits package which provides individual professional development funds, retirement matching, generous paid vacation time and sick time off, a culture that supports sustainable work habits, and an Annual Staff Retreat.
You Believe in People and are Committed to Equity and Inclusion.
You believe in an inclusive and culturally competent society and the essence of our commitment to diversity and inclusion. We believe that in order to create the change we seek, each person we hire brings a remarkable and diverse set of experiences, skills and characteristics that individually and collectively, will contribute to the radical change needed to move us towards a more equitable and just nation.
THROW YOUR HAT IN THE RING
Explore our website to learn more and apply by following the link below.
OneGoal is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, ethnicity, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability, age, marital status, military status, pregnancy, or parenthood.